November 25, 2011

Taronga Zoo and Koalas

I started the day in the best way -- Skyping with my family just before they sat down for Thanksgiving Dinner. It was so great to see you all! I love you!

Today Yves and I went to the Taronga Zoo. We took the train to Sydney Harbour, and on our way to the ferry, I ran into Jared! Of all the people in Sydney, I ran into the other friend I have here! I was so happy to see him again. He's such a special person and it reminds me of all the wonderful friendships and experiences I had at Westminster. Good 'ol Westminnie.


Koalas
  • At the zoo, the first exhibit I saw was the Koala Walkabout, where you can see a few koalas in the trees. I put a short video on YouTube if you'd like to see that cutie in the middle climb a tree.
  • Later I got to "encounter" a koala, which means I was in an enclosed area with a few koalas and they were only an arms length, or less, away. I got to stand next to a sleeping mommy and her joey. So sweet! People are not allowed to touch or hold koalas in New South Wales because it's stressful for the animal. Darn, because I wanted to hug these little guys!

A mommy, her joey, and me.

Other cute marsupials
I pet a kangaroo! That exhibit, and many others, was totally open, and by that I mean that the animals were not actually behind glass or in a cage -- they were in the same area as people. The kangaroos just hop all around wherever they want, and as long as you stay on the path, you might get to befriend one. At least I think so... there were no zookeepers to tell me otherwise.

 
Other notables
  • I saw a platypus! I saw my first one at the aquarium the other day, and I was lucky to see another one today because they are mainly nocturnal and hard to see and/or don't come out while people are there.
  • The Harbour was visible from the pathways throughout much of the zoo, which made the walk extra beautiful.
  • The zoo is so large that it took us five hours to see everything, and I'm glad we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment