November 21, 2011

"Spotties" -even a nickname for a "Spotted" cookie

And yes, that nickname is longer than the regular name.

Chilling with a caramel latte at Sydney Harbour

Today I was out and about and really enjoying walking around on my own with nowhere to go (except a lunch date), no time to be anyplace, and no phone (that is turning out to be fantastic). It was great. I:
  • Walked to King Street in Newtown to see the different shops
  • Took the train to the CBD and a ferry to Darling Harbour to meet my friend Jared (Westminster) for lunch
  • Walked to the Queen Victoria Building (sorry), which is a five-story, upscale mall
  • Caught a train at St. James Station and went back to Circular Quay (the stop at Sydney Harbour)
  • Chilled at the Harbour with a caramel latte and cookie and was just grateful for an awesome life full of countless, abundant, and amazing blessings
  • Took the train back to the apartment but explored by walking in a new direction and went back to King Street... I bought a hat. It's ugly and I don't like it, but also I like it and I want it. It will grow on me. 
That's a cool thing about Sydney, everyone just wears whatever they want, which is very "me." There are so many different styles and feels here. As far as I can tell, there is no predominant style (except for "Tom" shoes, everyone has them) -- you can just be yourself and it's cool. People have intentional, trendy (I guess) mullets, people have partway shaved heads, young people are growing mustaches, some people don't wear shoes...

This place is very diverse and full of tourists, and it's common to hear other languages more often than English, and I take notice when I hear an Australian accent because it's not that usual as I travel around. ...Unless the Aussies are quieter than the tourists... Except in Manly where there are Australian supermodels who are bartenders and servers. I mentioned this to Jared, Manly is where he lives, and he agreed, laughing that they must bring in outside talent. At the Bavarian Bier Cafe on Saturday I even laughed to myself wishing Emmi was there to see the unreal hotness of the servers there. Super. Freakin'. Models.

The other thing I've noticed is that there aren't many people around, or any people around, who enforce safety. I think there are just fewer rules about that kind of stuff? At Shelly Beach people were out sitting on these rocks above the water and it was perfectly ok. Along the Coastal Walk people climbed outside the fence and stood on the rock cliffs, and no one was there to keep people from doing that; I actually think it is permitted. Very different from how things are in the US.

Finally, and importantly, ice cream is available everywhere. Ice cream is to Sydney what dive bars and pizza joints are to Dormont.

Well, I'll put up another beach picture so we're ending on a high note, and I can keep your interest to come back and visit ... I promise I'll talk about more exciting things than hats next time ;)



Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment