November 24, 2011

Cronulla Beach and Happy Thanksgiving

 
Today Yves and I took two trains to Cronulla Beach. We had lunch and walked along the beach looking at all the different marine life, many alive between the rocks, living between the tides, and many dead, washed up on the shore. We saw a lot of those blue bottle jellies, technically zooids, some octopi, and other odd creatures.

 
Pollution becomes a habitat

Blue ringed octopi swim here, no known antidote (no worries, didn't see any)

Later in the afternoon I relaxed and read -- and helped prepare Thanksgiving dinner... although Yves did all the real work. We had lamb chops and potatoes and Leffe Blonde. It was yummy. Yves almost burned the apartment down while preparing dinner, but the little, sudden blaze only damaged the "sucking machine" (a.k.a. vent).

The mustache mystery was solved: All theses young Aussie men are doing it as part of Movember. Whew! They're growing mustaches to raise cancer awareness for men (just like at home). I'm happy they're doing that, which, then I had my "ah-ha!" moment, thinking so that's why Dan Bylsma was growing a mustache (at first I wondered if it was last man standing, or what?). I'm also glad it's not some new trend that will make its way to the States.

I finished my little hat project. I was a Kennedy to the fullest -- I was totally obsessed and goal-focused until it was achieved. I wanted to change the ribbon on the hat to something more my style, and I randomly brought to Sydney a bandanna I bought a few years ago (I tied it to my suitcase). So, I decided that I wanted to cover the original ribbon on the hat with this funky bandanna pattern. I tried krazy glue and then epoxy glue, but those didn't work. I thought I would wait until I got home so mom could sew it, but then I googled how to sew and took a few late night and early morning hours to sew a new band on the fedora. I'm really happy with the hat now! You can see it in the photo above.

After dinner we walked up to an Irish bar called Kelly's on King Street in Newtown. I had a Kilkenny. It's the first time I've tried that beer, and I can say, Mmm...


Happy Thanksgiving and lots of love! Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment