November 22, 2011

Sloshing Through Sydney


After my run in Sydney Park, I got ready for the day and took a train to Circular Quay (Sydney Harbour) and then a ferry to Manly. I walked the beach for a few hours and loved every second of it. The water was rough and people were not allowed to swim, but there were several surfers taking advantage of the bigger waves.

I chatted with two locals during my walk, and they looked like what the boys would envision about Australian outdoorsmen. Both were catching bait - sandworms - by dragging a net with dead fish back and forth over the wet sand. The worms smell the dead fish and come up to investigate. I was told they're very long worms that are hard to catch, and they make great bait.

The second man who was catching bait happened to be standing nearby when I discovered a clear gel with some bright blue color and what looked like threads of fabric. There were a few of them scattered in the sand at Bondi Beach too, which is why I was curious to find out exactly what they were. So I asked the man and he said it was a blue bottle jellyfish, which is actually three animals that exist together as one.

Eventually I walked off the beach and went to rinse the sand off of my feet. Why is this something to write home about, you wonder? Well, I put my foot under what looked like a spout, and I pressed the button. And, whooossshhh! I hear the water rush out of the shower head - above me. So, my legs and pant bottoms were wet because of the beach walk, and now my full front side was wet because I just stood in a rinse with all of my clothes on. I'm sure I gave some laughs to the people standing around, and I laughed too. No worries! I'm in Australia, loving life.

I took the bus back to Circular Quay (pronounced Key) and walked through the CBD to Darling Harbour. I love maps and finding my way around based on instinct and recognition! I was bustling through this city of nearly 5 million people like I was from Sydney. I really enjoy that.

On the Pyrmont Bridge. The ship is part of the Australian National Maritime Museum.

I ate a late lunch at Darling Harbour and then walked up to the Art Gallery of New South Wales (New South Wales is the Australian state that I'm in, which is also abbreviated NSW). I saw Australian art by the aboriginals, as well as by other artists, many of whom were born in England or Scotland and then moved to Australia.

I caught a train back to Erskineville, Yves' stop, and was craving a beer. I was soaking wet and had been wet all afternoon due to the mishap at the beach rinse and then the pouring rain in Sydney, so instead of popping into a bar for a quick drink, I bought a six pack of Matilda Bay BeezNeez, a honey wheat brewed in Australia. Sooo good.

Yves got home for work and made a delicious dinner of chicken, rice, and mango sauce, and then I worked on a little hat project, where I'm changing the ribbon... It's going to look awesome (in theory).

You know, I'm not sure if it's because of my Irish heritage or because I'm American, but I really don't care at all about the personal statues in the city, and I like history! Out of habit I read them, but then it's like Sir So-And-So, Captain Blah Blah Blah. All these British. However, I am very interested in the war memorials and feel reverence for the soldiers, especially of WWI and WWII, which are throughout the city.

Today I will find other adventures! I asked Yves if the Australian Museum was worth visiting, and he said, "It depends on what you find interesting. Do you like minerals?" ...Eh, we'll see. I do have a ticket for the aquarium this afternoon, and I'm totally pumped for that!

Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Sir So-and-So...Captain Blah blah blah!! thats priceless, I laughed out loud like an idiot at work when I read that! lol

    by the way, this blog is awesome, great job!!
    Love Mikus

    ReplyDelete